I am thinking about replacing my poles with 2″x2″x8′ pressure treated lumber. They may need some green paint to blend in as well as the poles do!
Burpee picklebush. I am only going to can pint size jars this year since we don’t go through pickles that quickly. I started these out in salt water brine for a day before adding picking spices and vinegar brine. I pulled out a fresh onion and bulb of garlic as well as two jars of last year’s dried dill as I debated which recipe to follow.
I hope these bees help the cucumbers prosper! So many flowers on these vines and I am optimistic for a good harvest!
Dill, Broccoli and Marigolds
The dill isn’t as tall or large as last year. Perhaps it’s a different kind this year. It’s been flowering so hopefully those heads will turn to seed in the next week for pickling some cucumbers. In the background you can see the tall sunflowers next to the corn.
His was taken almost a week ago and many more have toppled over and turned yellow. After the thunderstorms pass and the ground has had a chande to dry out a few days I will harvest these as well. Just in time for pickling season.
These have been flowering over the last week. There are a few cucumbers about three inches long now so I will be doing some pickling this coming week! Having my own garlic, onion and dill to use will be very satisfying.
These have recovered very well from the rabbit attack last month. I still have not tightened up the fence and actually chased one out of the garden a few days ago.
These are growing really tall – I believe the largest to stand eight feet tall. I have seen a few bees on them so I think they are serving their purpose well.
The very first tassel has been spotted! I plan to try adding fertilizer this week. I haven’t done so in the past but it ought to provide a better harvest. Who knows, maybe it’ll get me a second ear this time.
74 bulbs of garlic have been harvested. I pulled them out a few days ago and let the dirt out in the sun so that I could break it off of the roots more easily.
I am sad to say that the cucumbers are doing very poorly. These photos were taken two days ago and they looked even worse yesterday. I was able to pick probably another eight or so like I did last week. It’s not enough to justify firing up the hot water bath canner. I might make the simple fire and ice refrigerator pickles again.
I also had the stem on a few zucchini plants rot away just as had happened to the acorn summer squash. But, I have picked lots of zucchini up to this point. I am currently planning to pickle zucchini. I find a lot of references to bread and butter pickled zucchini, but I plan for dill pickled zucchini. I have done both in the past with great success. In fact, I recall the dill pickled zucchini to be more crisp than the cucumbers after having been through a hot water bath.
Next year I will have to monitor more closely for pests and disease for all members of this family.
The three Cs of my garden couldn’t wait for the weekend update.
I pulled a few carrots today so that I could check on their progress. They were growing deep and straight which is great news. If there was too much fertilizer or the ground was too compacted and rocky I would have roots that are shorter and less straight, even forked. I did not see any sign of damage to the leaves or roots which is also great news.
I have quite a few posts where I show off the sweet corn… But this time it’s actually more interesting – the ears are forming! The picture below clearly shows an ear started to bulge out alongside the stalk!
I picked eight more of these guys today. I suppose if I stick them in the fridge for two days I will have twice as many to pickle. I don’t plan on canning many, if any, this year. I plan to focus on refrigerator dills so it would be easy to make a batch of brine and then reheat and use as needed for smaller batches. When canning, it’s best to fill up the whole canner with fully packed jars so I need larger batches of cucumbers when doing so.
Update: I decided to make some refrigerator pickles using the Famous Dave’s Fire and Ice recipe. They turned out pretty well. They are sweet and have a little heat. After 12 hours in the brine they are still pretty “cubcumbery” in flavor. I think that next time I may boil the brine, pack the jars, and then pour the hot brine into the jars. This may help the brine penetrate the cucumber slices more quickly and infuse them with its flavor.
PS: cherry tomatoes are a daily occurrence