The corn was knocked over flat to the ground, twisted in a circle! We had flash flooding Friday night and Saturday afternoon I was greeted by this disaster. It appears that the heavy rain exposed the roots and the wind knocked them over and a domino effect ensued.
I did my best to stand them back up using bamboo stakes and string. I also packed more dirt around the roots so that hopefully it won’t happen again.
I am thinking about replacing my poles with 2″x2″x8′ pressure treated lumber. They may need some green paint to blend in as well as the poles do!
Burpee picklebush. I am only going to can pint size jars this year since we don’t go through pickles that quickly. I started these out in salt water brine for a day before adding picking spices and vinegar brine. I pulled out a fresh onion and bulb of garlic as well as two jars of last year’s dried dill as I debated which recipe to follow.
I hope these bees help the cucumbers prosper! So many flowers on these vines and I am optimistic for a good harvest!
I chased another rabbit out today… I really need to fix my fence! I am thinking about swapping those old poles out with 2″x2″x8′ treated lumber, and using poultry staples leftover from the compost bin to secure the fence to it. Then again, since the rabbits jump through the top of the “rabbit guard” fence, maybe I should use hardware cloth like I have one the compost bin instead. Anyway, I think I’ll start using a wider mesh for the deer portion of the fence so that flying insects stop getting hung up by it (dragon flies, wasps, bees).
Broccoli, Hairy Vetch, Oregano
I used up some old seeds by filling in the area where the garlic had been. I just tilled it up and planted the new seeds with a little fresh garden soil from the store. On the left is oregano, in the middle is hairy vetch as a cover crop, and on the right is spinach and broccoli nearest the fence.
It was a nice so I pulled them. It’ll rain tonight but we should then have drier weather.
Dill, Broccoli and Marigolds
The dill isn’t as tall or large as last year. Perhaps it’s a different kind this year. It’s been flowering so hopefully those heads will turn to seed in the next week for pickling some cucumbers. In the background you can see the tall sunflowers next to the corn.
His was taken almost a week ago and many more have toppled over and turned yellow. After the thunderstorms pass and the ground has had a chande to dry out a few days I will harvest these as well. Just in time for pickling season.
These have been flowering over the last week. There are a few cucumbers about three inches long now so I will be doing some pickling this coming week! Having my own garlic, onion and dill to use will be very satisfying.
These have recovered very well from the rabbit attack last month. I still have not tightened up the fence and actually chased one out of the garden a few days ago.
These are growing really tall – I believe the largest to stand eight feet tall. I have seen a few bees on them so I think they are serving their purpose well.
The very first tassel has been spotted! I plan to try adding fertilizer this week. I haven’t done so in the past but it ought to provide a better harvest. Who knows, maybe it’ll get me a second ear this time.
74 bulbs of garlic have been harvested. I pulled them out a few days ago and let the dirt out in the sun so that I could break it off of the roots more easily.